History of the station buildings

  • 21st April 1838             The main station building had been fully built, 2 years before trains ran
  • 02nd July 1840             The line between Hull & Selby opened and the station got it's first customers
  • 07th August 1840         A serious rail crash happened near the station with a casting falling off a wagon causing 4 deaths
  • 01st March 1872          Ownership of the line and the station transfers to the North Eastern Railway (NER)
  • 1877                                North Eastern Railway put on a single storey extention the station building
  • 01st January 1923       Ownership of the line and the station transfers to the London North Eastern Railway (LNER)
  • 01st January 1948       Ownership of the line and the station transfers to the Government under the name British Railways
  • 1961                                Name of the station changes to Howden from the original North Howden
  • 28th September 1979  British Rail Board sells the former station building for £6,200 to Mrs Wheldon
  • 1983                                House sold to Mr & Mrs Hill
  • 1993                                Station building & Signal box grade 2 listed
  • 25th Jauary 2008          House sold to the present owners for £230,000
  •  
  • 31st January 2009        Former Station Masters sitting room fully renovated, attention turned to former booking office and bedroom above